I have a message stuck in my Outbox (because it is to large to send). I tried to delete it but I get the following error;
“Can’t open this item. The MAPI Spooler has already begun transmitting this message.”
How can I get rid of this message?
There are a couple of techniques to get rid of such a stuck message. The solution that works for most is the following;
- Place Outlook in Offline Mode via File-> Work Offline
- Close Outlook.
- Verify in Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) that the outlook.exe process is no longer listed on the Processes tab.
- Start Outlook again.
- Double click the message in Outbox to open it in its own window.
- Either delete it, move it to the Drafts folder or remove its attachments and send it again.
- Put Outlook back on-line by disabling File-> Work Offline
- Press the Send/Receive button.
If this doesn’t work for you, there are some alternative methods described in this guide.
Note 1: To prevent this from happening again, you can create a rule which monitors if your not sending messages which are too large.
Note 2: If the message that is stuck in your Outbox is a Read Receipt, the above methods will not work as outgoing Read Receipts are invisible for the Outbox. You can follow the instructions posted here instead to get rid of a stuck Read Receipt.