When I forward or reply an email in Outlook, I can no longer see by looking at the orignal email that I have forwarded it or replied to it.
How do I get that back?
It’s unclear if the icons are still showing but do not reflect the reply/forward status or that the icons are not showing at all. Let’s first make sure the icon column is actually still showing.
Adding the Icon column
The Icon column is enabled by default but could be missing. To verify that it is still there or to add it use;
Outlook 2010: tab View-> group Arrangement-> button Add Columns
Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007: View-> Arrange By-> Custom-> button Fields…
Outlook 2002/XP and previous: View-> Current View-> Customize Current View-> button Fields…
If the the Icon column is not listed in the right panel, then you’ll need to add it from the Frequently-used fields panel on the left. You can use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to position it correctly.
Icon doesn’t reflect the status
If the icon has been added but it does not show the reply or forward status, then there could be various reasons why this is happening. The most common ones;
- You replied to a message which was using a custom form;
There is no solution for this.
- You have a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook which is causing some nastiness;
Disable or uninstall this integration and try again;
- You have an add-in installed which does something to special to a message;
See if it works correctly in Outlook Safe Mode or when you disable all your add-ins.
- You are using a HTTP connection to connect to a Live Hotmail account;
Use the Outlook Connector instead;
Download: Outlook Hotmail Connector 32-bit
Download: Outlook Hotmail Connector 64-bit
Note: You will only need to install the 64-bit version when you are using the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010.
- The message has been replied to or forwarded with a mobile device;
Not all devices or sync applications support syncing the forward/reply status as well.
- If you are using Exchange or the Outlook Connector you could be experiencing sync issues between Outlook and the mail server.
Check the Sync Issues folder for any reports or items that experienced issues.